Governor Samuel Ortom of Benue State has announced his withdrawal from all political-related activities until a lasting solution is found to the incessant killing of people of the state by herdsmen.
Benue earlier in the week made news headlines again for the wrong reasons after suspected Fulani herdsmen sacked villages in Guma and Logo areas of the state, killing men, women (including a pregnant woman) and children in an attack described as one too many.
Speaking at an emergency stakeholders meeting at the Government House, Makurdi on Friday, Governor Ortom decried the failed assurances by the Federal Government to check the activities of armed herdsmen in the state just as he called for all hands on deck by people of the state.
“I have decided to withdraw from every political activities until this problem is over. I cannot be a leader over dead people. 2019 is in God’s hand. This time, there is need for synergy, cooperation and unity among every Benue people across party lines”, he said.
Gov. Ortom, who pleaded with indigenes of the state to look beyond party and tribal lines and work with his administration to seek a solution to the recurring herdsmen attacks that have brought pain and sadness to the state, revealed that for the first time in months, he had to personally reach out to his predecessor in office, Gabriel Suswam and immediate past Senate President, David Mark to join him in proffering solutions to the crisis.
“Yesterday for the first time in months, I called the former governor, Gabriel Suswam and former Senate President, David Mark to inform them about the stakeholders meeting today but was told the former governor traveled out of the country. This issue is beyond party politics”, he stressed.